Thursday, June 17, 2010

Updating webshite

Today using the tedium of a rare lack of work day at work, actually got my website updated. (Updated is a big word, perhaps bigger than needed for adding 2 sentences and 1 photo.) Updating a website sounds like an easy task one wd think well within the capabilities of an IT professional, but I just never can remember my password. The reason being that they don't allow anything memorable for a password, the web hosting mobs security demands in that dept are extreme. So in the end I just never remember what I set last time & each time i get to reset another ludicrously unmemorable password. Which tends to take about 15 minutes of just figuring out a new password let alone all the rest of it all. Today being at work I installed an FTP client and over a longish period toiled away & finally Ash told me that the proxy at work won't let me do FTP anyway.
Eventually I found the web hosting has a file management tool so I did it thru that. Wouldn't want to do much thru that though it's a pain doing 1 file at a time.
So yes it's never easy to update the website. For stupid reasons, usually. But that, and other niggles like how using Highslide JS (that makes yr photos pop out nicely) is fully annoying hacking the code each time just to add a photo, well that's why I thought I might like to run it with a CMS. So i can just click 5 times to add some pictures and crap, eh. Anyway reckon I won't, cos I don't need all that bumpf, but i might use something like ZenPhoto, which does a nice gallery thing. With the opportunity to add like bloggy things there too. That's about all I want. Using a real blog like Ben does, awesome as it is, is not really that good for me, cos I don't have much to say about each sculpture, usually. I like little words to go with my pics. I can't really say much about how they're made, cos mostly they are all made the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment