Monday, May 25, 2009

The right trousers

Today i worked on his trousers. I want them flouncy, with a knife crease. Yet also flowing & organic but not too organic. I want em to look like bloody good trousers. I generally make trousers a bit skinny, cos i love to have the leg shape under em. Of course there's billowy trousers that completely hide the underlying legs. This type of trouser i have never made. I reckon these are gonna be a bit like that. Of course you got to have any underlying features in the right places, like the hip bone they hang down off of, and the ankle they stop at. But even though i love to know where the knees are, they may end up invisible. I got some aversion to this, dunno if its cos i hate to throw away all the knee work i done, or if i reckon it just needs to have knees. I think the latter, cos if i had a dollar for every bit of work i have wasted in my life i'd, like, live in a Paris mansion with servants. Or if i didn't get a dollar for em, i'd be a bitter & twisted individual who thought everybody was out to get me. So it can't be that. i mean bitter & twisted, maybe, but nobody could be bothered to be out to get me.
Anyway as usual when i come up to a problem that boggles me mind, i say to myself, well there is a sculptural challenge i got to solve. So there i have it, i need it to both have knees and yet not have them actually visible. Good challenge eh.
It takes a helluva lot of clay to make flouncy trousers BTW. I spent the day basically just patting loads of clay on there. Reckon i added at least 6 bags just to his legs. 60kg of clay to make them look light as air, or attempt to. Then i got interrupted & never got back there. Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment