Saturday, May 8, 2010

Babysitting & Biking

Today was a different sorta day to what i was expecting. i got new tyres put on the motobike & that took til 2.30 down at the bike shop cos everybody likes a chat. I chatted with a number of new people i'd never met before. Bikes are so great for that. It matters not what u look like yourself but if you have a bike there will always be people happy to talk to ya & really connect with ya. They really should tell all awkward young kiddies this fact... its a marvellous thing.

There is a retarded teenage kid who hangs around the bike shop lately. He's very nice & likes to help. Its a real worry. He's so helpful he had somebody ride their bike up onto the bike platform & he clamped it in with the handle, when nobody else was out the back. He did a nice job of clamping it but nobody rides up onto the platform on their 20K motorbike, its oily & slippery steel. They always push em up by hand. And he only wanted a pink slip anyway he wasn't needing any work done on it. It make yer blood run cold what could happen if this rider slipped in some oil & it all went down off the platform. If the rider survived to blame somebody, who's fault is that? Its one of them things, where by being nice to someone, the whole bike shop could get its ass sued right off it. It is a difficult thing. Its kinda like babysitting - kids are hard work.

It turn out my new bike is quite impressive to people who know about such things. I knew the previous owner had loved it & kept it immaculate & added a few things but apparently it don't get any better than what he's done to it. I can't take any credit for it of course, but its way cool to know its so awesome. And it is awesome, with the trailwings on it & the knobbys off it, it rides tons better on the road. It was like riding on blobs before, which it was. Now its like riding on real tyres. Cool.

I rode to the studio & carefully parked it at the front door behind the trees. I thought that was nicely outta the way.

I did sweet FA on the sculpture, i got sucked into a discussion about art in the next door studio & hours passed, my cup of tea got ice cold, and darkness began to fall. I started to realise there was a party happening upstairs too. Lots of little kids were coming down & i was having to chase em all out of my studio cos they kept going in to find things & empty my buckets etc. One little girl come up & asked me, she wanted to play with wax like before, she said. I fobbed her off by saying i put all my wax away cos i was using plaster now. Them kids are cute n all but i needed to get some work done & they really suck away your life force in that situation. And there was so many of em i could see my whole studio overrun within moments. All them little kids look the same to me really but obviously i met this one before. I'll probably recognize her next time... i'm not a complete freak, i hope.

I guess this is another situation of babysitting being hard work & there being more to it than just letting them do what they wanna.

I gradually came to realise my motorbike was now parked in the absolute middle of a party with BBQ, tables of food, loud pumping music, DJ, decorations, @40 children & many adults. Geez. I was gonna have to ride thru a frikkin party to escape...

Luckily the bike is awesome & i actually can ride, & regardless of how crap i may be, at least i been doing it for 20 years. So i didn't embarrass myself by falling off it or crashing into the BBQ as i rode thru the party & slipped thru a 6 inch gap between the BBQ & a stack of pallets. The little girl wanted a ride. I asked her if she had a hat cos she couldn't ride without a hat.

I'm getting good at fobbin this kid off..... LOL.

It was a good day of talking to people, if totally unproductive. Tomorrow i start EARLY & get loads done. Time's short.

No comments:

Post a Comment