Thursday, January 21, 2010

Me n a Prius

Today i loaned a Prius, one of them electric hybrid cars. They have a slew of em available & i found out how to request one. I been spending the week walking everywhere & while its been great for my health its a total waste of time when we got so little time to spare. Tho it took me 20 mins to work out HTF to get it started, and other 5 to find the handbrake (hint u don't use your hand!) so that was a bit counter prod. Fun little thing tho it was quite nice to drive once u sussed it out. Just like a car :) I like wheeled things.

I was first trying to gain access to the 2 labs i had failed to gain access to the day before. This was pretty stupid waste of time but this what happens when someone goes on leave & u get to come to actual grips with the rotting corpse u have been handed, & that bagful of loose keys u grabbed from their desk drawer don't save your ass at all. Anyway after some serious emailing i got some pin code for a lab & finally (not easily at all, but i don't wanna bore u too bad) got in to discover - one pc & no working network whatsoever. The really great bit was that there was a back door... that was unlocked... that i had actually walked into yesterday, but it'd been really dark in there yesty & i had sorta barely seen thru the darkness that there were empty desks, with some comms cabinets LEDs flickering up the back, so why would it enter my mind this was a lab... I would say a solid 4 hrs work (and walk) over 2 days got me into this unlocked unlab. Priceless.

I found a person who knew vaguely about this lab, and she told me the real person was on holidays, but she went looking for the pc's. I didn't really want her to go looking for the pc's, cos i wasn't gonna do anything with them anyways, i just wanted her to produce the key to the other lab i needed. I did say this, a few times, but we traipsed across the faculty & got to a building with a sign on the door, Bees have escaped into this building, do not enter for 48 hrs. She let me stay outside. She came out, no, there's no computers in there. Good thing too - what was i gonna do with em.. prolly full a bees.

After various detours she got the key. Finally got into that 2nd lab - i wasn't bloody going to quit before i got in there. My goal for today was to kick these 2 labs in the guts. Success. Sorta. I did get in, but kicking guts was problematic. Anyway the bees, the prius & the pinpad non-lab were the highlights of my week, and all happened on the same day!

No comments:

Post a Comment