Saturday, April 25, 2009

Tassie Knee

I can talk about knees now cos mine is getting better fast. No more crutch & the swelling's right down & my kneecap is back where its sposed to be. I can straighten it out too! Though i won't. Anyway if u want to read about knees...

Having always warned people going to Tassie that Queenstown was the only slippery bit, it come as no real surprise that that was where i fell in a ditch. I had meant slippery roads, but maybe just the entire area is actually slippery. Well why not? Maybe the dirt is slippery from the sulphur in the air & the dirt gets run across the roads to make them slippery when it rains.

We had stopped for a photo opp on a curve where there was a bit of run off to park the car. I got out &, as you would, i attempted to cross a tiny ditch to get a better view, and my foot slipped. I managed to catch myself on one hand & made sure the other hand was in the air holding the camera. Landing on my hand was no fun cos that hurt, and it basically just held my butt off the ground by 1cm. It is important to note however that i didn't actually fall on my arse.

Jo climbed the hill in the meantime, and did the dance of death down the hill, managing to avoid falling with some fancy footwork. Val took off up the hill & we both yelled out that it was slippery. She never heard us she said later. Anyway she went down like splat & i was most annoyed none of us was filming as we fully expected it & it would have made a good movie. She was fine tho & even her camera which bounced a few times was quite OK.

I didn't seem to hurt my leg at the time but i must have cos the next day my knee would randomly do this "collapsing" thing on me & that was kinda gross cos it felt like the bones were sliding off each other & going the wrong way & so it was pretty untrustworthy. Took 3 days or so get a bandage for it cos of it being Easter weekend in a strange country. I just tried to be careful with it. It didn't hurt much considering there was sure something funny going on there.

Have my suspicions that driving the tiny car & its clutch didn't help tho, cos that day i'd done most of the driving, and it never actually swelled up till after we got home a week later, & i'd driven half way from Melb to Sydney in the one day & that was a pretty painful thing to do, tho i wasn't gonna admit it & make Val drive all the way, cos like being a highway you would think even a bad clutch leg would be able to get you there, eh.

Anyway its put me off thinking i should get a small car with a clutch in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment